What is Baptism?
Baptism is the rite of initiation into the Christian faith. This sacrament is based upon Jesus’ own baptism in the river Jordan when the spirit of God descended upon him. (Matt 3:13-17, Mark 1:9-11, Luke 3:21-22, John 1:29-34)
- We are joined to God through Jesus Christ in a covenantal relationship.
- God has promised us salvation and the forgiveness of our sins.
- We promise to lead a baptismal life.
- New believers are introduced to the community.
- We are invited to participate in the Eucharist (holy communion) and to receive the highest offering of the church, the body and blood of Jesus Christ.
- We are joined to the church universal in a covenantal relationship
How do I have my child or myself baptized?
Baptism preparation is available for adults seeking baptism or parents seeking to have their child baptized in the Anglican tradition. Preparation involves the study of the sacraments, the process of being welcomed into the Christian community, and what living a baptismal life entails. To learn more, contact the rector at email@example.com or call the church at (519) 884-6600
How can I learn more?
The text for the Rite of Baptism and more information can be found on page 146 of the Book of Alternative Services [PDF]
How much does baptism cost?
Everything. To follow Jesus as a family is to give your entire life to God. But it is worth it and it is amazing! As with God’s grace, baptism is free for all willing to accept Jesus into their lives.